Thursday, October 27, 2011

Mail's here!

George's first gift to unwrap.

George received his very first package in the mail today. (If you addressed something directly to him prior to this, well... Sorry. I've been sleep-deprived and conveniently blaming my poor memory on this excuse.) His Auntie Nikki was even sweet enough to include what is his very first (very sweet, HANDWRITTEN! Guys, I don't even handwrite my grocery list) letter. He has been fortunate to receive lots of gifts from people who love him, even before he was born, but this is the first package I can think of that has been addressed directly to him.

Receiving mail when I was a kid was like winning the lottery. That very potential was the reason why I always volunteered to go get the mail. And on those rare occasions there was something addressed to me? I was ecstatic. It was just such a great way to feel special as a child.

Snail mail is dying off, and there is talk of the post office no longer operating on Saturdays. The world is changing from what it was when I was a kid. I know this. Heck, George already has an e-mail address. I didn't get one of those until I was the ripe old age of 13.

But I have a feeling George will still love receiving mail from people who love him.

Do you have these fond memories of mail from when you were a kid? Or do you still get as excited about receiving something with your name on it? Or do you like sending mail more than receiving it? Earlier this week I stumbled on Happy Mail, the cutest little blog chock full of ideas on lightweight items to send someone via mail. Maybe it will motivate me to send some mail of my own. In the meantime, I will enjoy reading George his new book.

George's Goodnight Goon.


Love, Auntie Nikki.

No comments:

Post a Comment