Monday, February 14, 2011

Well hey, check "place for the baby to sleep" off the list.

Lookie here!

Nursery: Finished!

It's a nursery! That nursery I alluded to showing off at our baby shower but then didn't show you any pictures of!


Nursery: Finished!

And a cat checking out said nursery since the door is usually never open in an effort to discourage an explosion of fur all over freshly washed baby things.


Nursery: Finished!

This has been a long time in the making. The painting alone - oh man - took Rob seven weeks and five separate painting sessions. No, I am not sure why it took so many painting sessions. I kilzed and painted my office THE NIGHT BEFORE WE MOVED IN, so you can bet your bottom that Rob had to endure my whining "Whyyyyyyy is it taking so long?" on many more occasions than I would like to admit. But don't feel too badly for him, he's a smart one so I think this was all part of a nefarious plan to get himself out of painting duty for the rest of our lives together. I will say that the nanosecond he declared the painting finished, he promptly started putting together the crib. Fingers crossed that he is that on top of changing diapers.



Nursery: Finished!

If you're shocked that I, the bibliophile, do not have more children's books - well, so am I. But they're expensive, and I am frugal, so some time soon I will be hitting up some used book stores to see what I can add to the shelves.

See that fancy schmancy light switch above the bookcase? That might be Rob's favorite addition to the room. It's a Lutron 300-Watt White 7-Speed Combination Fan and Light Control - say that five times fast. Basically, what it means to me is that I can dim the lights AND control the fan from our one little light switch, which I imagine will be handy once Butternut arrives.

The room doesn't really have a theme other than "Make Me Happy to Look At." So it shouldn't surprise you that teal shows up, or that there are Disney items in the room.

And why yes, that is a collection of Figment dolls. He's my favorite Disney character, before even Donald.


Nursery: Finished!

Disney touches - on the right is a giclée called "Art Attack" by Trevor Carlton and Stephen Reis that I picked up at Downtown Disney's Festival of the Masters a few years ago. Man, I miss their live performance that Disney used to host. Bring it back, Festival of the Masters planners!

Also, on top of the armoire (which is way too cluttered, but cut me a break, I'm too tired to sort out the knickknacks right now at 35 weeks and 5 days pregnant), there is a large stuffed Dumbo that was mine when I was a toddler. There is a great photo of me at age two or three struggling to hold this mammoth Dumbo as my dad holds me in front of the castle. I can't wait to recreate that photo someday with our son.



IMG_1041 former raw

IMG_1042 former raw

Owning up: this was completely inspired by Young House Love's asymmetrical photo arrangement. I loved it so much that I did it in our sitting room/front room area of our house as well. And yeah, I was inspired to the point of putting up the old school style portraits of myself and Rob, one each from our childhoods. D'aww, we were adorable.

A few more Disney touches: Disney scrapbook paper (the Buzz Lightyear and the comics papers), the Baby Mickey shower invitation done by our fabulous shower hostess Kelly, a photo of Mickey balloons in front of Cinderella's Castle at the Magic Kingdom that I took last year, a Donald Duck postcard, and a clipping of a Mickey Mouse painting from an old Festival of the Masters program.



IMG_1045 former raw

Who doesn't love Venn diagrams? And DIY art? I whipped this up in Photoshop after googling Venn diagram tutorials.



Nursery: Finished!

I miss Disney. We live a half hour away but haven't been since January 2010. This was the first year after several that I missed the Food and Wine Festival, and I WAS PREGNANT. What better time is there to gorge yourself on good food?



Nursery: Finished!

I wonder how much our little boy will look like Rob when he was a toddler? We were both blonde the first several years of our lives, so I will definitely be surprised if Butternut comes out brunette. Uh, or better yet, redhead.



Nursery: Finished!

Another place I have to credit Young House Love - the crib. They had the same concerns that I did about solid wood, non-toxic finish, and affordability. Thanks for doing the research for me, guys!

The Dirty Details:
Paint above of the chair rail - Behr's Cool Jazz
Paint below the chair rail - Behr's Intense Teal
Crib - Baby Mod's Park Lane
Dresser and armoire - my childhood furniture, thanks Mom and Dad!
Lamp - Target's Room Essentials 5 head Floor Lamp
Circle mirrors
Brown round storage ottoman - Target (not available online)
Chair - IKEA Poang chair found via Craigslist
Bookcase - formerly my parents' and then it lived in my office for a bit - thanks Mom and Dad!
Curtains - I made them, woot woot!
Light switch - Lutron 300-Watt White 7-Speed Combination Fan and Light Control
Donald Duck painting - "Art Attack" giclée by Trevor Carlton and Stephen Reis

4 comments:

  1. Looks great. Can't wait to meet the little one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE the room! You guys did a GREAT job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful room! I think my friend Christine took the "Love" magnet photo!
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/calico67/4347944172/in/set-72157623098079324/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whoops, comment reply fail, hopefully this only posts once :) Thanks guys! And Christie, thank you for the link - I always wondered where that photo came from, and it is great to know. Bummer to see she doesn't share it under Creative Commons, I will probably replace it with something more personal.

    ReplyDelete