Friday, May 11, 2012

Sleep - and not the baby's sleep.

One of my favorite advice columns (from a columnist who readily admits that some of the best information is found in the comments rather than in her post) is Ask Moxie. Today she shared this quote: "She's always lonely, but she never has any time to herself."

I found this painfully true in those newborn days. Now I am feeling more fortunate in having friends, playdates, and places to go where I can guarantee at least one conversation with an adult. But the majority of my days are still spent trying to get my kid to understand that not all birds are "Duhs!"

Moxie offered the quote as part of her answer to a woman named Jen who wrote in asking, "WHY DO I STAY UP SO LATE EVERY NIGHT???" Oh Jen. I am right there with you. Every night I stay up embarrassingly late, and the later it gets the more I dread going to bed because the sooner the morning will arrive and the more exhausted I will feel. It's a terrible cycle that leaves my body wrecked and my mind slow.

So why don't I go to bed on time? Because the night is the only time I get peace and quiet. I love it, I cherish it, and I dread giving it up any time soon. Someday I hope I will become more accustomed to the busy days, the lack of privacy, and the vast majority of conversations taking place with someone who only knows how to babble, but that day is not here yet.

What are you reading? Any blogs or books to recommend? I need to get cracking on The Omnivore's Dilemma for a book club, but with my attention span I am more suited to reading significantly shorter blog posts like Ask Moxie's.

No comments:

Post a Comment