Tuesday, October 11, 2011

An anniversary three years in the making.

Three years ago.

Three years ago today, we married.

He is my partner. He makes me laugh, even when I don't think I want to laugh. He is so certain, it's maddening and yet ultimately (usually) comforting to behold. He is patient. So patient. He is one of the most affectionate people I know. He's not particularly reliable, but he knows it so he doesn't call me a nag when I continually remind him of events and obligations. When he hugs me, I feel safe. He doesn't like to celebrate anything, but he humors me when I do. He is the best father George could have, and watching him experience such joy when he is with George makes me light up. He's smart, and he would rather explain how something works than be condescending to someone else who doesn't know better.

(Like last week, when I tried to broil steaks for the first time, and I was all, "Why is this meat still bloody?" And he went, "Because you need to put it on the top rack and crack the door open." And he didn't laugh at me. Not to my face at least, and that's what counts. Also, CLEARLY ovens need instruction manuals. Also also, I am never broiling anything ever again because I have visions of baby hands burning themselves in that crack.)

Today he said to me, "So we started dating about five years ago, right?"

I reply, "Yeah, why?"

His response was, "My five year plan worked."

He wanted to be married with a kid by 30, the birthday that passed last week. I am married to an older man. Sexy!

I guess I can check "Be an item on someone else's bucket list" off of my bucket list. And "Make it to three year anniversary." I know, not trendy bucket list items. It's okay, El Hub loves me lack of coolness and all.

Love you, hun.

IMG_1303

No comments:

Post a Comment