Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Ficcare, a Versatile Hair Toy



About a year ago, I joined the Long Hair Community (LHC). LHC embraced - you guessed it - long hair, and all manners of methods on taking care of it, styling it, and just generally enjoying it. My hair had reached the longest it had ever been, and I wanted tips on how to take care of it and fun ways to put it up.

One of the first things I learned at LHC was about Ficcare hair clips. So many people in this community adore their ficcares. Usually, this refers to the Maximas, Signature, or Innovation style of clips, but the Maximas seemed to be the most popular. A lot of people sought out what they called fakkares, or knockoffs that could be had cheaper than original ficcares.


Fakkare seen at Target

Here is a fakkare I found at Target, for instance.


It is an innovative little tool and does a great job of holding a lot of hair very securely, and that is the reason behind its popularity. The real ficcares are known for their high quality, strength, and not snagging hair. This sounded like a dream come true to me - I have to admit that I have broken my fair share of hair toys in my hair, and some not poorly made hair toys have broken my hair in return.

Of course, I had to check them out. The only place local to me that carried them was Nordstrom, and the sales lady there was very helpful. She gave me a pamphlet on a few different ways to use the clip, and helped me figure out which style and size would be best for my hair. I ended up with a silver Maximas clip in size medium, which ended up costing around $30.

I love this bad boy. It is my go-to toy on bad hair days when I just want it all up and out of the way. It also gets used sometimes when I work out - the hold is that good.


I have stuck it through buns in my hair.





I have stuck it over buns in my hair.







I even used my ficcare to pull back the top half of my hair during a wedding in which I was a bridesmaid.

By far my favorite way to use it is in a bun. But I have been meaning to experiment with other ways to use the ficcare for some time now, so maybe I will put that on my to do list of experiments.

What's your favorite hair toy?

No comments:

Post a Comment